Search
Close this search box.
JoeGardham
Keymaster

Hi Neil, I have this a lot when I’m stressed out, through work or life.
    Few things that have helped for me:
    1. Reading – I read at least 30 minutes every night before I go to bed. Kindle (on low brightness) or paper book best rather than device
    2. Lists before bed – If I’m working late I always sit and write a list of everything I need to do tomorrow – this seems to ‘brain dump’ everything and really helps. No reason it couldn’t work in a personal way too, not just work
    3. Device out of the room – a friend of mind who does wellbeing coaching recommended this to me a few years ago and it’s absolute habit for me now. I have an office next to my room and before going to bed I put my phone, watch, iPad on charge and don’t look at them again until I wake up next morning. This had an instant impact on my sleeping
    4. Maybe a bit more severe, but I came off all social media last year when I was struggling to sleep. I found myself getting caught up or wound up by other people’s dramas, and found I was waking up in the middle of the night thinking about things I’d seen on social media. Not looked back, and I’ve used my social media time to learn a new language on Duolingo 🙂
    5. Goes without saying alcohol, caffeine, drugs etc aren’t going to help

I think the main thing is to be able to switch off and clear your mind before you go to bed, in whatever way works for you.

Do you always think about the same thing when you wake up? Or can you find a pattern (i.e. stress at work/home makes it worse etc)? I guess identifying that first will help you respond to the cause of it?

Good luck mate

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by JoeGardham.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by JoeGardham.